Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Purple

I spent the last week with growing angst about Mother's Day. I know a wonderful mother who has a wonderful family that takes her children to purchase gifts for her. My family doesn't do that. Come Mother's Day, I was sure, I would go out of my way to celebrate my mother who would go out of her way to celebrate my sister-in-law but no one would do squat for me. I felt selfish at the thought but angered also. The days passed and Mother's Day grew closer. My mother -gramma- helped my nephew make his mother (my sis-in-law) a card. This meant he used my son's crayons. This meant my son's crayons were broke. That's not the part that bothered me. My son sat down to color with his cousin. Did gramma suggest he make a card for his mommy, too? Nope. What DID happen? My brother pulled a crayon from his hands to help my nephew make his card. Of course, my son threw a fit. Then my mom gave my brother a crystal vase and money to buy my sister-in-law flowers.
To their credit, my sister and my brother each gave me a card.
To their credit - and my joy - my son's day care had him make me some very beautiful keepsakes.
I made my Mom brownies....with too many walnuts. Just like she likes.
The night before Mother's Day there was a concert - Morehouse Glee Club. I purchased a ticket. As we got dressed, my mother was ...snarky to say the least. Apparently, I wasn't supposed to go. My son and I had a blast and enjoyed my Mother's Day gift to us.
On Mother's Day, my mom was shocked when she remembered to tell me "Happy Mother's Day". This is my 2nd Mother's Day - my son is almost 2. How are you shocked that I'm a mom. The morning got worse from there.
My son and I wore purple to church. Purple, my favorite color. We were twins. After church, my family of choice took me to brunch and gave my son flowers to give to me.

On the way home, I knew it was me. I thought that I didn't try hard eneough to "fit in" to or didn't know how to appreciate my family. I thought that the issue just might be that I'm too stuck up. But then I got home. The accusations started. Apparently, I'm not a good mom. Or so they say. And, suddenly, I was over it. In this family, it seems, that Mother's Day is only for mothers who have a father - or a father's mother - for their children. For the rest of us, well, our place is to support them. Blue with sadness and red with rage. A very purple Mother's Day indeed.

No comments: