"I know you need a break
and your son needs a man
to show him how to be a man
so he doesn't begin to pretend
and imitate you, his mother.
It's my job. I'm your brother.
No. I haven't yet asked my wife
so give me a little time once you decide
to send him 200 miles
away
for a couple of days."
"Not a chance. No way in the world. So afraid are you of my son turning into a little girl - which is quite impossible - that you'd harm his psyche just to spite me. Or teach him to fight instead of play, to value his body more than his mind to devalue everything feminine. That's not the child I thought I'd raise. That wasn't my plan, that's not how I've ever defined a "man". So, I have to pass. I'll come up with a lame excuse, hoping you don't ever ask again. But no. YOU cannot have my son. Not for a few days, not even for one. No.
"Yes, I know I stay tired and my hands are always full. And I do realize that I don't get to do for myself what I would. But I do not need to take a break from the child that I chose to birth. My job is to teach him, I can think of nothing worse than to allow ignorance to reach him."
Damn. I shoulda said that.
Friday, January 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment