At some point, I became a Mommy.
The birth of a child does not, in and of itself, make someone a Mommy.
A Mommy is different from a Mother. A Mother is the woman who gave birth to the child, who looked at her newborn like an alien and held it like it just might break. A Mommy is the woman who misses events because her toddler needs playtime. She's the woman who will hurt herself to make sure her child is safe. At some point, I graduated from Mother to Mommy.
My wardrobe, full of cute skirts and cuter shoes, has been whittled down to the pants and shoes most comfortable for chasing toddlers through hallways, across stores and down sidewalks. My menu encompasses only that which can be finger food... and only what he'll eat. Even my sensibilities have changed. Tight and short aren't sexy. Clothed, comfortable and confident are sexy. Thin and able to fit a proscribed size pants or someone else's idea of perfect is passe. Healthy. I'd give anything to stay healthy.
I'm a Mommy. My purse is full of toys and pacifiers. I get up at 4a to sneak a cup of hot coffalatte and write a few words on a blog. I finish neither because my son's cough wakes him up. I'm always on duty. Even my me time is Mommy Time.
And I couldn't be happier.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment